On the Road to Rwanda

On the Road to Rwanda
Our School, 2006

On the Road to Rwanda

On the Road to Rwanda
Walking hand in hand thru Kimisagara

On the Road to Rwanda

On the Road to Rwanda
The majestic hills of Rwanda

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Woman Arrested for Dumping Baby in Latrine

By Frank Kanyesigye
image

CULPRIT; Nadia Iradukunda (Photo.F. Goodman)

A woman was yesterday arrested for allegedly dumping her five-month old baby boy into a pit latrine at the premises of HAGURUKA, a local NGO based in Kisementi in Remera Sector, Gasabo district.

Speaking to The New Times, Eria Nizeyimana, HAGURUKA’s Director of Programs, who was at the office before the woman dumped her kid, said that Nadia Iradukunda desperately wanted to get rid of the baby.

“I reached the office early in the morning and found Iradukunda seated in front of our office holding her baby, and I asked her why she was at our office that early and she told me that she had problems,” Nizeyimana said.

“I went straight to my office, and about three minutes later, she came to my office and said ‘I have now solved my problems’.”

Nizeyimana said that he immediately became suspicious.
‘I asked her, where is your baby?, and she told me that she had dumped the baby in the pit latrine, ” he explained.

The cries of the baby could be heard from the latrine. “I called the police to intervene, and the baby was removed and rushed to Kibagabaga hospital,” Ndeziyimana said.
“The baby survived because of the timely intervention”.

According to the NGO’s Legal Advisor, Stephanie Uwimana, the woman was working as a housemaid for one, Dateus Rugamba, who allegedly impregnated and disowned her.

“Iradukunda came to us in January saying that Rugamba had refused to take care of the baby. We then summoned him to our office to explain,” Uwimana said.

“Rugamba promised to take care of the baby by giving 10,000 francs every month to the mother.”

Eric Kayiranga, the police spokesperson, told The New Times that Iradukunda will be charged with attempted murder.

Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment